Saturday, January 20, 2007

Meg's Church Talk...I Have Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ

Meggy LOVES to talk in church. Everytime they ask for volunteers, Meg's hand is the first one up! I am happy that she lokes to speak in front of a group, but this means that I always have to write another talk. She is now in the "senior" primary, so we wrote a "grown up" talk. She has been practicing reading it with expression. Here it is for you all to enjoy!

What does it mean to have faith? Alma says that “if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true”. We have faith when we believe and trust in something that is real and true even though we have not seen it for ourselves.

Joseph Smith wanted to know which church he should join. One evening when he was reading the Bible, he read in James 1:5, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God”

Joseph believed this scripture and planted its truth in his heart. He trusted that the Lord would answer his prayer, even though he had never prayed out loud before. Joseph prayed in faith, and he received a wonderful answer.

Like Joseph, I know that I can pray to my Heavenly Father in faith and receive an answer.

To have faith in Jesus Christ means that although we have not seen Him, we believe that He lives and loves us and that we trust Him. When we read the scriptures, we can learn about Him. When we listen to the prophets, we can understand what we can do to follow Him. When we pray in faith for help to choose the right, we can know that our prayers will be answered. When we listen to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost, we can feel Him close to us and know that He loves us.

I am excited that I have finally turned 8 years old. Next month I will be baptized and confirmed a member of the Church and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. I have faith that I will be guided by the still small voice.

Alma tells us that the word of God is like a seed. We show our faith when we plant a seed in the earth. We then nurture it by keeping the weeds away, by giving it water and plant food, and by making sure that it has sunshine. If it is a good seed, it will begin to swell and grow.

When we believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ, we plant true words of God in our hearts. We nurture this kind of seed by praying, by following the prophets, by keeping the commandments, and by listening to the promptings of the Holy Ghost. As we do this, the seed of truth will grow within our hearts. Then we will know that Jesus Christ is happy with us.

Alma says that if we continue to nourish the word of God by our faith, it will grow as large as a tree and bring forth fruit. This means that our faith in Jesus Christ will grow strong and bring blessings for us and for others. What joy that brings! I have faith in Jesus Christ. I believe Him, trust Him, and obey Him. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

No comments: