Monday, October 22, 2007

In Case You Were Wondering....

I am voting AGAINST Referendum 1.

WHY???

It diverts $429 million away from public schools.
It makes it harder to reduce class sizes bacause the operational costs of a school remain the same.
There are few standards set for private voucher schools.
Private schools are not held to the same "rules" as public schools, one being the a certified teacher.
Will it really help those low income families? Even with a 3K voucher, I still can't afford to send my 3 kids to private school.

I could list other concerns as well, but I will let you decide for yourself!

BE AN INFORMED VOTER on November 6th and VOTE!!!!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

This is not Robyn, it's Grams writing from Robyn's. Well, Dad and I are planning to vote for it. They say that what is left will be more per child. I don't think poor parents will be able to do it, but it will give a little more time for the teacher to help them along. I'm not sure why you think classes won't be smaller, won't taking kids out of the classroom make classes smaller? Anyway, we're still open to learning. Love you guys

Principal Sal said...

Being a public school administrator, and devoting my entire career to public education, I am WELL aware of the way funding for teachers is computed. The "ad's" that you are seeing do not reflect accurate information. The money that is allocated to each school to hire teachers---it is called FTE--standing for full time equivalent is based upon the LIVE bodies that are sitting in a classroom on October 1st of each school year. If the kids are not there, you don't get the money! lets say that 30 kids from my school leave on a voucher. Then I would lose a teacher and a half. This means that the remaining kids would be divided up into the already over-crowded classrooms. The initial money that they are using to fund the vouchers for the first few years is not actual money being taken away from education, rather it is general budget money that could actually be spent to improve public ed. There are many other points to be made, you should talk to Chris because, like me, he is well informed on the issue and has a firm against vouchers as well. I guess I am glad that our two votes AGAINST will cancel out your two votes FOR!!!!!