We LOVE October here in the Sansom Home. The kids have been waiting for October 1st to arrive. You see, they love to decorate the house. I remember the days when I was a young single teacher. I spent countless hours (and dollars) decorating my classroom for the holidays. When I quit teaching, I gave away all of my fun decorations. Through the years I have been collecting more, but the past 2 years have not really had the time (desire) to decorate. Since I am trying to have a most positive outlook on all things these days, I promised the kids that on October 1st I would dig out the Halloween bins from the holiday storage. You would have thought it was Christmas at our house. It is amazing what a bin of orange and black nick-knacks and years of kid artwork can do for a home...not to mention $13.88 at the dollar store. As we were making spider webs and hanging streamers, Meg kept saying, "I just have butterflies all in my tummy. I am so excited" and Madison quickly followed by saying "I don't think our house has ever looked this good", and Mason ended the conversation with, "Daddy will be so scared when he comes home." It was so much fun, but I must admit I felt a bit guilty at the excitement they felt, for an activity so simple, that brought them so much joy, I don't often take the time to do very often. One of their favorite things that comes with getting out the holiday stuff is the collection of holiday books that I pack away each year. They get so excited to finally see their favorite stories again. It was fun to hear the girls reading Mason the stories. They read with great fluency and expression. I will share with you my holiday hint. The kids always make fun art projects at school, but don't bring them home until after the holiday. I then pack the artwork away and display it the next year. The kids have so much fun remembering their projects. You will have to stop by for a visit and check out the decor. Happy OCTOBER!!!!
Monday, October 1, 2007
OCTOBER!!!
We LOVE October here in the Sansom Home. The kids have been waiting for October 1st to arrive. You see, they love to decorate the house. I remember the days when I was a young single teacher. I spent countless hours (and dollars) decorating my classroom for the holidays. When I quit teaching, I gave away all of my fun decorations. Through the years I have been collecting more, but the past 2 years have not really had the time (desire) to decorate. Since I am trying to have a most positive outlook on all things these days, I promised the kids that on October 1st I would dig out the Halloween bins from the holiday storage. You would have thought it was Christmas at our house. It is amazing what a bin of orange and black nick-knacks and years of kid artwork can do for a home...not to mention $13.88 at the dollar store. As we were making spider webs and hanging streamers, Meg kept saying, "I just have butterflies all in my tummy. I am so excited" and Madison quickly followed by saying "I don't think our house has ever looked this good", and Mason ended the conversation with, "Daddy will be so scared when he comes home." It was so much fun, but I must admit I felt a bit guilty at the excitement they felt, for an activity so simple, that brought them so much joy, I don't often take the time to do very often. One of their favorite things that comes with getting out the holiday stuff is the collection of holiday books that I pack away each year. They get so excited to finally see their favorite stories again. It was fun to hear the girls reading Mason the stories. They read with great fluency and expression. I will share with you my holiday hint. The kids always make fun art projects at school, but don't bring them home until after the holiday. I then pack the artwork away and display it the next year. The kids have so much fun remembering their projects. You will have to stop by for a visit and check out the decor. Happy OCTOBER!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You're such a good mommy! Decorating with the kids was probably good for all your "spirits" (pun intended). :)
That sounds like so much fun! I think we'll be doing that at our house this coming weekend.
How cute those precious little kids are. I rarely even get mine out until halloween night, but I think when they are here for a vist Monday I'll let them decorate our house for halloween. I don't have a lot of stuff anymore so maybe they can do some homemade projects for me, I think they might have fun getting our house ready too.
Love Grams, (or Grandma Lizzy if I'm on Kelly's blog Joshy gave me that name when he was little so that's all they use.)
Post a Comment