I have a beautiful garden box
Top of the line soil
Tender LOVING care
AND TWO DOGS!!!
Much to my dismay the dogs have been eating the produce
BUT
In the FRONT yard I have two beautiful plants that are THRIVING!
The problem is...I didn't plant them. If I had....we could be sure they would not grow.
When I first saw the above mentioned plants coming up, I decided to let them grow to see what they were. GROW they did....right before my eyes! Day after day the kids and I watched these plants take life. Suddenly there were blossoms, and then.......FRUIT....well squash and pumpkins to be exact!
We decided our love of these plants outweighed the "trashy" aspect of growing vegetables in the front yard and on the lawn, so they have continued to grow. As they matured we could definitely tell that one plant was definitely mini pumpkins. Just like the ones Mason smashed near the porch last fall. The 2nd plant, after looking at pictures on the Internet is a famous...yellow squash!
The girls went out this evening to photograph our fabulous "garden". Here is the squash and pumpkins in all their glory...in the front yard!
We are picking the squash tomorrow. I think we will have a "picking ceremony" I will keep you posted. I will of course let you know how it tastes!
As for the pumpkin. Mason has named them "pumpkiness" and they are twins! We will let them continue growing! Hooray for volunteers!

5 comments:
I love the plants...what a surprise to see them growing...and in the FRONT YARD! ha ha... I think I have a volunteer watermelon in my stomach. Is that what happens when you swallow the seeds. ha ha...
How fun to have food growing in your very own front yard! Especially food you didn't have to plant. That beats the beautiful plant(turned out to be a weed) I had growing in my front yard!
I found a plant growing at my first house. Since I didn't have a yard, I nourished this little plant like you have done with your pumpkiness and squash. My plant soon bloomed a violet flower, I was so tickled until I started to itch....Poison Ivy!
Let's have a family night this coming Monday, August 25th, at 6:00 p.m. Bring your own meat and a dish to share. Bring swimming suits and a blanket and any other swim gear you want....I am excited...if some of your siblings don't blog, make sure you tell them O.K.?
I love your great garden. You failed to mention that your DOG - Monroe - ate one of the only 5 tomatoes my plants have produced this year! I haven't been able to get a tomato to grow for about 20 years. This year I may have a few - That is, if Monroe doesn't get them first! I love him though and would gladly let him have a taste or two anytime. Love Mom
Post a Comment