My poor puppy is 11 years old. He has had his share of health issues and has rung up some pretty large vet bills, but his recent encounter has topped them all:
A few weeks ago Dave took me, the kids, and all the dogs (Monroe, Dexter and Winnie) to Tanner Park. It was a fun day for the dogs. Meggy was a stress case. She was sooooo worried about the dogs that she couldn't enjoy herself. Shortly after letting the dogs off their leashes, Dexter took off running down the hill. Meggy freaked out and began running and crying after Dexter. She was so upset and running so quickly she failed to see that Dexter had stopped halfway down the hill to visit with some dogs. Maddy and Mason had a great time playing in the river, but Meg just could not relax. Poor girl. Dexter and Winnie ran all around meeting all the other dogs and Roe, in his old age just sauntered around smelling things. Now, fast forward two weeks later. Roe keeps licking at something on his abdomen. I finally look at it last Sunday night and it looks like some sort of a cyst. I asked Chris to call the vet and take him in. Chris got an appointment for Tuesday, but never looked at the cyst I told him that was on Roe. Tuesday morning I get a call from Chris. He proceeds to tell me that Roe does not have a cyst. It looks like some kind of a worm. Chris chastised me for not realizing this and said he was going to be embarrassed because he told the vet it was a cyst. hmmm maybe he should have looked at it. Anyway, Chris went to the vet and the vet informed him that Roe had a bot fly parasite living in him. GROSS GROSS GROSS! Apparently these bugs like to lay their eggs near rabbit and squirrel dens because they use their bodies as a host. Roe must have picked up an egg while he was wandering around at the dog park. Chris had to leave him there so he could have surgery to remove it. The vet said this was the largest one he has ever seen. It was sooooo gross. If you want to see what I am talking about, click here. At least Roe only had one in his poor tummy. The vet sent Chris home with the parasite in a bottle. The kids took it for show-n-tell the next day. Roe is healing up very well. He had an IV on his leg, so he looks a little strange with a shaved leg. He got an antibiotic shot and has to take two other antibiotic pills each day. We have to put a hot compress on the wound 4 times a day. Meggy loves this job! She is such a nurturer. I must say, after this experience, I am with Meg. I don't ever want to go back to Tanner Park!

5 comments:
GROOOOSSSS!
Wow, I have such a (blessedly) limited knowledge of foul critters and their warm blooded hosts. Yuck! Ick! Gross! Bleh! And any other obviously-disgusted exclamations you can think of!
Funny- My dog has been to Tanner Park many many times and no parasites. I will continue to take her there. Flies can come from anywhere.
-David
First of all I love Tanner Park that is right where I grew up and we walked our dog there all the time. It is the best for dogs. 2nd ewwwwh. Yuck I am so sorry he had that in him and so glad you got it out.
Grooooosss is right! Roe has recovered and is chipper as he can be. Funny how Sally, who used to be grossed out at the sight of a bleeding scratch, can now tolerate all kinds of yucky stuff. It comes with being a mom. No wonder Meggy is such a nurturer. She has a great example.
Post a Comment