Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Do They Talk About the "Bad" Soldiers on the Radio Too?

The girls and I spend a lot of time driving in the car, thus we listen to the radio a lot. Yesterday on KSL they were talking about the most recent soldier from Taylorsville that was killed. They were talking him, his ultimate sacrifice, the family he left behind, and about the war and the number of other soldiers that have died. From the back seat of the car cam an intereting question from Meggy. She said, "Mommy, do they talk about the bad soldiers on the radio too?". I wasn't sure what she meant, so I asked her to clarify her question. Realizing what she had asked, I thought for a minute or two before giving her my response. This whole war is such a difficult thing for adults to understand, let alone an 8 year old child. I think about the mixed messages we are sending to our children. How do you explain to them that it is okay for some soldiers to die, but we sadly mourn other soldiers, depending on what side of the war we are on. Without going into too much detail, I explained that the solders from Iraq are mourned by those people who are supporting what they are fighting for, and the soldiers from the US are mourned by those people who support them, well I guess maybe support is the wrong word, because there are many people who do not support the war at all, but mourn those on both sides who have lost their lives. It is sad to think that an 8 year old has to even be concerned about a war. I know that when I was 8, war was not even something I had any schema about. It is so true that we live in trying times. I pray for our country, I pray for my children!

No comments: