Way back in May, Chris and I decided we were going to take an anniversary trip. We knew that we would be going out of the country, so I made arrangements to get my passport. I have previously had one, but it is lost and expired. I headed to the post office to find that you have to sign up for an appointment. There were no appointments for an entire month, but the guy said that he would help me if I had everything ready. I did not have my birth certificate, so I ran home (40 minute drive) to get it. I got back, he helped me, I paid the charge to expedite it, and 2 weeks later (much faster than expected) my passport came. All was good.....until we decided that we wanted to go to Cancun....and take the kids. We needed PASSPORTS. I got all of the required forms and attempted to take them in, well, you have to have BOTH parents there or some notarized thing explaining why there are not all there. I got Chris, all of the kids and went back. This time we got all the way through the application, pictures, paying all of the fees, (and you all know how FAST government office employees work), when this "sharp" cashier noticed we did not have the SS cards for the kids. It was 4:00 and the office closed at 5:00 and there was NO WAY to get home and back with the numbers. So, they had to cancel the entire transaction, including the forms they filled out. Then it took them FOREVER to figure out how to credit my account. Needless to say, by now, Chris and the kids were all losing it. So, the next day we all 5 repeated this process, ss#'s in hand! I felt like I had completed my master's thesis by the time this was completed. About four weeks later, all three of their passports arrived. All was good. About a week before the passports arrived, the feds relaxed the guidelines and said that you only need to have applied for the passport, but I was happy that we all had ours.....or so I thought! I kept asking Chris to find his passport so I could put them all together in one SAFE place. He kept procrastinating this, and this weekend he finally dug his out....to find that it EXPIRED on March 7th. All I could do is LAUGH!!!! We were at the office three, yes THREE times and could have easily renewed his, if only he had known. I guess I should be glad for two things, 1, they relaxed the rules, or I would have a free spot to Mexico for anyone with a passport, and 2, I am so glad that I have become a pro at hounding my dear sweet husband to follow through with things. We leave in less than a week, and he was supposed to get to the passport office before work today, but I found his completed application sitting on the kitchen table. OH CHRIS!!! You gotta LOVE him!
Quick Update...Chris called and apparently next day aired his passport application. to the feds, but he missed the plane for today so it won't arrive until Wed. He then needs proof of processing by Sat. morning. I hope he gets it......so, I may need someone with a passport to join us after-all. Any takers???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
OMG!! What a nightmare! That is exactly the sort of nonsense that drives me insane! You are so good to maintain your composure during those hectic times. Way to go!
Post a Comment