It seems I have inherited one of my mother's famous cooking techniques....BURNING FOOD!!
I usually have good luck in the kitchen.
I have been enjoying cooking while I have been home the past week.
My mouth has been watering for Navy Bean Soup...and the ham bone in the fridge has been waiting to be boiled for this such occasion.
Everything seems perfect....RIGHT???
I began this morning with ONE task...making the above mentioned soup.
An easy task!
I put the beans in boiling water to soak. An hour or so later I rinsed the beans, added new water, and the beloved ham bone to the pot. I put it on to simmer until the beans were soft. I proceeded up to my bedroom to fold laundry....2 loads--Undies and towels. I had another load of towels in the dryer (this will be an important fact later on!)
I sent Meg down to stir the pot. She came up and reported that it smelled GOOD and she even brought us all a sample bean. Right then I should have headed downstairs, but instead I was draw to a chefology show about the Barefoot Contessa---which proved to be very interesting by the way!
When I finally made my way downstairs I smelled my soup....it was not what I expected! There was a burning smell. I ran to the pot and found all the water had boiled out and the ham bone was laying on top of the beans, and they were cooked to a nice crispy black! Ohhhhhhhhh I was so mad at myself. As if this wasn't enough disappointment for one day.......
I began pouring the beans down the disposal....and thought to myself.....watch it clog (we have been having issues with it lately...it acts up on holidays...Thanksgiving, Christmas..and I guess now New Years) anyway...before I knew it......I was right. I now had a brown cloudy mess of burnt beans coming up from the disposal and the reverse osmosis water filter thing. Ahhhhh
I sponged it all up and went to call Chris at work...when I remembered that he doesn't have a cell phone because it was STOLEN..........I turned it off yesterday after I called it and some guy speaking only Spanish answered Bueno and then promptly hung up after I tried to tell him he had our phone.
So..........I retreated back to my room and the laundry. I came downstairs about an hour later to find my entire kitchen floor flooded. This is where the towels come in. I usually have a basket of dirty towels hanging around, but no, not today. The dryer was full on CLEAN towels. I used those lovely downy smelling towels to mop up my floor and the entire cupboard under my sink.
Since the sink is out of order, the soup ruined...it was about time for the kids to start asking about dinner. I gave them 2 choices. Grilled Cheese or Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. Mason and Maddy were thrilled with Grilled Cheese. Meg, in her tween voice said "you are a bad mom cause you don't feed us good things" (Never mind the bacon, eggs, and toast I made for breakfast...I guess bad mom's cook breakfast!!!)
Now......steaming from Meg's comment, but choosing to keep my mouth shut.....I proceed to make the Grilled Cheese sandwiches. I fail to turn on the fan, so within minutes.....the smoke alarms start going off....and the kids freak out! Oh what a joy.
So......my earlier vision of finishing the laundry, sitting down to a tasty bowl of homemade soup while chatting with my little ones turned into the BAD mom feeding her kids BAD food, re-washing the towels that were used to mop up the flood in a kitchen with a sink clogged with burnt beans. Hey....at least the floor and the sink cupboard are CLEAN!!!
Calgon.............TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!!
Hey and if you are still here...thanks for listening! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh you poor thing! What a terrible day! Grayson gave me a "Mom of the Year" trophy and then promptly took it away after I took away Wii privileges for hitting his brother! Awwww, just happy to know that I'm not alone on the "Bad Mom" bench! Hugs!!
P.S.: Mr. Calgon--please take her away to Chicago! Even if it's just a layover during her trip to New York--which by the way, I'm sooooooo tagging along on!! ;)
Sorry about your day Sally.
Yesterday Josh told me that he wishes I didn't live here and that Daddy stayed home with them all day.
I guess we're all in the bad mom club.
Post a Comment