Monday, January 7, 2008

I May Have Redeemed Myself!

Tonight I made another attempt at making soup. After the Navy Bean soup fiasco, I decided to try Hamburger Soup. My dad always made the BEST hamburger soup. Since his passing, we have been unable to locate his recipe. I think the soup I made tonight was pretty darn close. I found the recipe in the Mormon Cookery cookbook. I have made a couple things from this book recently, and they have all been winners. Meg informed me that it didn't look quite like Grandma's hamburger soup, but she would let me know which one she liked best. So....the verdict is in, and apparently the bad mom who last week served bad food slid ahead of Grandma's soup! She said that she likes mine a little better!! Whoooopeeee!

Here is the recipe for anyone wanting to give it a try! It is super easy and YUMMY on a cold winter's day. I made a few minor changes.

Saute' one onion in 1 tsp of oil in your soup pot
add 1 pound ground beef. Brown
Add the following:
6 Cups of beef broth
2 cans of diced tomatoes (I used the Italian Seasoned ones)
5-6 stalks of celery, cut up
7-8 carrots, cut up (I used "real" carrots and liked it much better than the baby ones!
1 1/2 tsp Thyme
1 TB salt
10 peppercorns
1 bay leaf (as my kids say..for good luck! )
8 TB of pearl barley
Simmer until vegetables and barley are tender.
Serve to HUNGRY children!! Mmmmmm
This freezes well too, if you have any left!

2 comments:

Cora said...

I am going to try your soup! Sounds delicious!

The Pierce Family said...

I'll have to give this one a try when the cold weather kicks back in.