Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Add This to Your "Bucket List"

I saw The Bucket List last week. Chris recommended it, and I went! Although it was a GREAT movie, it was a bit of an emotional experience as the whole gist of the movie centers around 2 men who are dying of brain cancer...something that hits way too close to home. I managed to make it through the whole movie, but lost it as I walked out of the theater. Anyway, I highly recommend you see it, but that is not what this post is about.

Since seeing the movie, I have often thought of what would be on my "Bucket List" (list of things to do before you "kick the bucket"). I must say that I definitely experienced one of those things this past weekend.

Seeing Yellowstone National Park in the Winter


Many months back, Mom arranged for some condos in West Yellowstone. We all arranged for vacation time, and were all so excited. There were a few things that tried to interfere with our plans--Mimi moving to NYC, Dave getting influenza B and pneumonia, and me having to attend a conference in St. George. Mimi flew home for the weekend, Dave got better, and I drove from St. George to Yellowstone in one late night!!!

We arranged for a day long snowmobile tour through the park to Old Faithful. We rented 4 snowmobiles. The kids traded off riding on the back with each of us. Grandma and Mel opted for the "old fogy" tour in the snow coaches, but wished they had taken the snowmobile route.

After we were all suited up in our gear we were ready to head into the park. It was a chilly 11*, but the heated seats, handlebars, and foot warmers kept us cozy! As soon as we entered the park, the scenery was BREATHTAKING!!! There were animals everywhere. At times, we were driving in between herds of buffalo and looking at elk three feet away. The geysers were beautiful too. It was amazing to see piles and piles of snow and then look near the geysers and see green grass growing. We even saw a squirrel run out from near the fountain paint pots.

I will share some pictures, but they honestly don't do it justice. This is something you need to see with your own eyes. I would put the experience right up there with Disneyland! It was so neat for my kids to experience nature. We were able to talk about seasons, animals, geysers, etc. This is definitely "Bucket List" worthy!

This is the front of my snowmobile. The buffalo were THAT close!!
Check us out!!!
Mason and Dave ready to go. Mason kept falling asleep when he was on the back of the snowmobile. It just lulled him to sleep. Both Chris and Dave had to stop and move him to the front to prevent him from falling off!

Imagine driving right next to these beautiful creatures. You could hear them breath and their feel clomping in the snow! It was a bit scary when one started chasing after me. Another time I looked into my mirror and saw another one kicking towards Chris.

Elk and buffalo drinking out of the Firehole river!


Beautiful geysers, beautiful kids!
You gotta love this white butt!


BREATHTAKING!!!

4 comments:

Cora said...

These pictures are amazing - I can't even imagine how much more incredible it was in real life!

Robyn said...

I wanna go!! I wanna go!!! Amazing pictures--just added it to my 'Bucket List' as well!

Robyn
www.nykazafamily.com

The Pierce Family said...

That looks like so much fun. It's funny because we were just talking last night about how fun it would be to have a family vacation to Yellowstone. The winter trip looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! What a cool vacation. I've always thought it would be fun, but I can see it's way more fun than I even knew. I remember saying your tropical vacation seemed like the perfect vacation, well, I don't know, maybe this one tops that. And I remember your Mom saying she just loves winter. She must have been in heaven. Grams LM