Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mmmmmm..The Kids LOVED IT!!!

CREAMED TUNA AND PEAS ON TOAST
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
a few grinds fresh pepper
1 cup milk
1 can tuna, drained
1 can peas, drained
1 slice bread per person, toasted, buttered (opt)
Melt butter or margarine in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt and pepper and stir until flour is slightly browned.

Remove from heat and slowly stir in milk until flour is incorporated. Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring, for 1 minute, until thickened.

Add drained tuna and peas and heat thoroughly, without boiling.

Ladle over toast on plate or bowl and serve warm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm...I remember when mom cooked that meal...it was one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

That is totally a dish my grandma made when we lived with her. I wasn't a big fan of it as a kid, but reading about it...it sounds all warm and homey! I may have to try it out again (minus the peas, of course!!)

Anonymous said...

Me too. We had it all the time when we were kids. Loved it.

DEEDEE

Anonymous said...

Sounds positively nasty!!!

-your baby brother

Anonymous said...

I have never liked that, it's one my mom made (as Robyn mentioned). But, I will have to try this again, I have found my tastes have matured. I would have to use frozen petite peas though, I can't stand canned peas. (Maybe that's the part I didn't like as a child). Luv you guys so much, give me pictures ok. Grams LM