Saturday, March 10, 2007

Another Sunday TALK?????


My girls absolutely LOVE speaking in Church. I am not sure where they inherited this trait, because speaking in Church is not something Chris and I truly enjoy. Yes, when asked to do it, we will, but we certainally don't go volunteering ourselves! Not so for my 2 little darlings. I am sure their hands were the first ones up when they asked for volunteers for the talks this Sunday. We decided to put together one talk that the two of them could give. The theme for the month is My faith in Jesus Christ grows when I follow His example and keep His commandments. Here is the talk that they will give tomorrow! They are all grown up practicing it! I still can't believe they are eight.

We would like to talk to you today about one of our favorite flowers, the sunflower.

Last spring Megan and I planted a sunflower seed. We found a good piece of soil in a place with a lot of sun and gently planted our seed. We watered and watched the spot daily and soon the seed began to sprout and grow. We waited and waited for the beautiful blossom.

One sunny morning the blossom finally bloomed. We were so excited. As we took care of our flower we wondered where the flower got its name. We thought that it made sense that it's called a sunflower because its blossom looks a lot like the sun; a big circle surrounded by yellow petals that look like light beaming from around the circle. But as we watched the flower day by day, we noticed something more interesting about the flower. We noticed that as the sun moved across the sky, the blossom followed, keeping its face constant in pointing toward the sun, gathering the needed light and nourishment. Then as the blossom matured, it began to sag with the weight of the seeds and we were able to harvest them for a yummy snack. In the wild, sunflower seeds nourish the birds and other animals. It is a truly beautiful and useful flower.

Megan is going to tell us how we can all be like a sunflower.

We can plant ourselves in the good soil of the gospel and water ourselves with things that nourish our testimonies, such as listening to our parents, being a good friend, helping others, attending our church meetings, reading the scriptures, praying always, and following the example of Jesus by keeping his commandments.

When we blossom through this nourishment, we can be like the sunflower and look for our light in the SON of our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ. We can follow Jesus and be faithful in facing him, looking to him for help and comfort all the day long.

And when our blossom becomes so full of this light, we can share it and nourish others. Like a sunflower, my faith in Jesus Christ grows when I follow His example and keep His commandments.

We say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Hey---this post was NOT here when I checked for updates a few minutes ago!! I can help you "tweak", change colors, add colors--swap your sidebar from right to left and back--and yes--I can add a photo in the title bar! The one thing I haven't figured out yet--How to add a background that is behind where you write! Either IM with me or call me--and I will either walk you through it--or tell me what colors you want--and what picture in the title bar--and I can whip it in for you!!