Sunday, May 13, 2007

I Need a New Nail Salon!!

I have been getting my nails and pedicures done at the same salon for over a year now. I love Lan, the lady that does my nails, but the salon is totally stressing me out! Lan and her husband Ruck own the Regal Nails Salon, and it is located inside a Super Wal-Mart. Now, I know that I should just not worry about the way they run their business, but everytime I go there, I just get so stressed watching the way that they manage things. Because it is inside Wal-Mart, people just walk in and expect an immediate appointment. They never have anyone sign in, and they just keep telling people to come back in about 25 minutes. Well, here is what totally stressed me on Friday night. I had an appointment for a pedicure and backfill for my nails at 5:30 PM. I arrived about 5:25 and sat and waited until about 6:00. They then decided to start with my pedicure. They have finally hired 2 new ladies to do pedicures. While I was sitting and relaxing getting my pedicures I watched 8 people come in and ask for appointments. Now, the time is about 6:30 PM, they close at 7:00 PM, and they don't tell these people NO! They also don't have them sign in, so they really don't know how many people they have coming back in 10 minutes. I was keeping track, and I began to wonder how they would fit all of these people in, plus all of the ones like me who have an appointment. About 6:00 this lady came in and asked for a pedicure. They told her to come back at 6:30. When she came back she said she told them she needed a new full set of nails too. Now, I am an eavesdropper extraordinaire, and she did not mention ANYTHING about the nails when she first came in. So now, there were 3 people waiting to get their nails done, and there was no way Lan was going to get to them all. I have noticed that with the language barrier, they speak Vietnamese, the "pushy, inconsiderate" people seem to always get their way. It was now 7:00 PM, and I was still waiting for my backfill. I could see how stressed Lan was, so I made an appointment to come back tomorrow. Now, mind you, I was the only one with an appointment on Friday too! I decided I would give her one more chance and see how things went on Saturday. Well, my appointment was at 12:00 Noon. I arrived about 5 minutes early to see Lan just finishing up a full set of nails. I waited about 15 minutes and then could see that she was almost done. I assumed I was next, since I did have an appointment...RIGHT? WRONG! There was a lady just finishing her pedicure who was apparently next. Lan just looked at me and kept apologizing. She had one of the pedicure ladies file my nails down for her, but I had to sit and wait for almost an hour. Something that just takes 40 minutes has now taken over 2 hours, not to mention the time I spent yesterday. All in all, I should have had everything completed in an hour and 10 minutes took three hours and 30 minutes. It would be so easy for them to make a few changes and fix this problem. First, all they would have to add is a sign in sheet where you put the time you came in and the services you want. This would help you to see how many people are ahead of you. They also need a board where they list their appointments so they don't take on additional people just prior to an appointment coming. They could also print out cards that list the time people should come back, only giving out so many so they can keep track of everything. I bet if they had me organize their business for 1 week, I could triple their income and lower the stress level of their customers. I have decided that I will give the new salon my my house a try next time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This should be something relaxing not stressful! I think I would go elsewhere.

Robyn said...

Hey you!!! I just tagged you! So--you are it!! Here's where I got you--http://thenykazafamily.blogspot.com/2007/05/my-7-random-things.html

Have Fun! I miss you guys!!
Robyn

Anonymous said...

blah blah blah